Forest School is this way of teaching people outdoors…
Sounds like a fun idea…and it is real good! There is all this research n stuff that has gone into play since the seventies when life was groovy…and people have recently done some funky stuff with it…and then from this kind of thing came this play policy in Wales…really good thing…then the play policy implementation plan..which was nice…and told teachers (and people who care) how to do the right stuff and what the WAGsters were planning on doing next…So anyway, outdoors is a good thing cos of…THIS SORT OF THING, n it really is good (one study took groups into city scape/landscape and found dramatic difference in how it makes people think n feel) cos our brains need nature and dont like man made structures all the time…and then there is the way we teach and how we need to give children time to do some things and step back from all that jabbering…jabber jabber..plus if we allow children ops to problem solve and share their more abstract thoughts and do a bit of shaping at the point of utterance…then who knows what can happen! So I have handed in this large file of a years worth of slog and feel a great sense of relief as it was hard for my brain…but the stuff I have found out has been brill…
1. Going out to the country helps when you feel poo
2. By spending time outdoors where there are trees you can relax and feel some special stuff (God given stuff)
3. By not getting too involved with grey buildings and big structures you can stop yourself getting sad/anxious
4. Through giving yourself and those around you time to think life might make more sense
5. Some direction is necessary to help us get the right thoughts going on in there – seek direction!
6. If people go out and experience nature together, play within nature, use the renewable resources to make fun things we can really enjoy ourselves and learn some stuff
7. Children should be taken away from the television and given something that will help them in later life, the man made stuff is a real bad influence and really does not help the brain in high doses (eg every night from 4 – 7)
8. Hugging trees gives you a green/brown stain on your chin and makes you look stupid!